Here's another installment in the series looking at the non-conference schedules of MAAC men's teams.
Up now, Manhattan:
The Jaspers play away games on Nov. 13 (at NJIT), Nov. 25 (vs. Wisconsin in the Old Spice Classic in Orlando, Fla.), Nov. 26 and 28 (Old Spice Classic games), Dec. 8 (at Fordham0, Dec. 22 (at Bowling Green) and Dec. 30 (at Florida Atlantic). They will also play a road BracketBusters game on Feb. 19 against an opponent to be determined.
Manhattan plays home games on Nov. 17 (Penn), Nov. 20 (Long Island University), Dec. 11 (Binghamton), Dec. 18 (Hofstra).
Here's a game-by-game breakdown of Manhattan's non-conference schedule:
- NJIT: Picked to finish 4th in the 7-team Great West Conference, now in its second season of existence. Finished 10-20 last season after winning just one game in the 2008-09 season. Best player: Senior guard Jheryl Wilson (14.2 points, 5.2 rebounds).
- Penn: Picked for 5th in the 8-team Ivy League. Finished 6-22 last season, including a victorty over Cornell. Best player: Best player: 6-1 junior point guard Zack Rosen (17.7, 4.4 assists).
- LIU: Picked to finish 2nd in the 12-team Northeast Conference. Finished 14-17 last season. Has four returning starters. Best Player: Senior guard Kyle Johnson (11.5 ppg.) and forward Kenny Onyechi (league-best 2.1 blocks per game).
- Wisconsin: Picked to finish 5th in the 11-team Big Ten Conference. Finished 24-9 last season. Best player: 6-10 senior forward Jon Leuer (15.4 points, 5.8 rebounds).
- Fordham: Picked for 13th in the 14-team Atlantic 10 Conferendce. Finished 2-26 last season. Fordham has a new coach in former Hofstra head man Tom Pecora. Best player: 6-7 sohphomore forward Chris Gatson (18.0 points, 11.4 rebounds), the A-10's Rookie of the Year last season.
- Binghamton: Picked for 6th in the 9-team America East conference. Finished 11-17 last season. Best player: 6-7 senior forward Greer Wright (15.6 points, 6.0 rebounds).
- Hofstra: Picked to finish 7th in the 12-team Colonial Athletic Association. Finished 19-15 last season. Best Player: Senior guard Charles Jenkins (20.6 points), the CAA's Player of the Year last season.
- Bowling Green: Picked for 5th in the 6-team East Division of the Mid-American Conference. Finished 14-16 last season. Best Player: 6-7 junior forward Scott Thomas (13.2 points, 6.3 rebounds).
- Florida Atlantic: Picked for 3rd in the 6-team East Division of the Sun Belt Conference. Finished 14-16 last season. Best player: Freshman guard Greg Gantt (15.6, 2.4). The team's head coach is Mike Jarvis who previously coached at Boston University, George Washington University and St. John's.