Thursday, December 15, 2011

Siena's Beard Leaves, Cites Homesickness

Touted as one of Siena's top men's recruits when he committed to Siena this past spring, freshman guard Davonte Beard is already leaving the program.

Beard, on Thursday, informed Siena head coach Mitch Buonaguro and director of athletics John D’Argenio of his desire to transfer to a school closer to his Akron, Ohio home. Beard has filed paperwork with the athletic department’s compliance office, and the college is processing his request.

Through Siena's first 10 games, Beard showed a considerable amount of promise, averaging 5.2 points, 1.8 rebounds and 1.6 assists playing an average of 22.7 minutes per contest.

“This was a very difficult decision for me,” Beard said Thursday. “I would rather be close to home, close to my mother and my two brothers. It is hard not having them come to see my play. I would rather transfer to a school close to home so my friends and family can come to the games.”

Beard “I’m disappointed Davonte felt this was the direction he needed to move in,” Buonaguro said. “He told us he wasn’t comfortable being this far away from his family. I respect his decision, and really hope everything works out for him. He is a good person, who we had high hopes for as a Saint. The reality is he was home sick.”

No comments: