Here's another in the series looking at newcomers to conference programs for the coming season:
Up now ...
- KYLIA CHAMPAGNE (5-11 forward, John F. Kennedy H.S., Paterson, N.J.): She averaged 14.5 points, 8.5 rebounds and 2.1 blocks per game as a high school senior.
- SHAYNA ERICKSEN (6-0 Forward, West Morris, N.J. Central H.S.): She averaged 20.1 points and 2.3 rebounds per game as a high school senior. She is a slender "scoring" forward and is her school's all-time leading scorer for both boys and girls.
- KATIE REESE (5-8 Guard, Mountain Lakes, N.J., H.S.): She averaged 20.3 points per game as a high school senior.
- BRIANA SCHNARE (6-2 Center, Wachusett, Mass., H.S.): Some internet sites list her as being 6-3. She averaged 11.3 points per game as a high school senior.
- BLAKE UNDERHILL (5-6 Guard, Ashland, Mass., H.S.): She averaged 17.9 points, 3.7 rebounds and 2.4 assists as a high school senior.
ANALYSIS: The Jaspers used five different players at the point guard position last year, and two of them return. Manhattan coach John Olenowski is a master at helping a shooting guard run the point, and the likelihood is that either Reese or Underhill, neither of which was a true high school point guard, will get significant minutes (and be successful) as the Jaspers' point during their careers. Manhattan also struggled on the boards last season, getting outrebounded by an average of 5.6 per game. Olenowski attempted to address that deficiency with three front court players in the incoming freshman class.