The 9th annual GymRat CHALLANGE AAU tournament for girls was held in New York's Capital Region over Father's Day weekend, and there was the usual abundance of Division I basketball talent, at least future D-I talent, participating.
As always, we tried to ascertain a connection between players and MAAC programs. So, the following, is a list, as comprehensive as we can come up with, of players who are looking at MAAC schools and vice versa.
- Sarah Veilleux, a 6-foot-0 wing player from Rham H.S. (Connecticut Cobras AAU program). She is a big-time scorer in high school, but only flashed that ability (8.2 points per game) in five games here. Still, she was heavily recruited by Marist before opting, according to sources, to verbal to St. Joseph's.
- Mary Patterson, a 5-foot-7 guard, from Troy H.S. (Albany Capitals program). She is an aggressive, athletic player who gets into the lane to score yet is a good outside shooter. Several MAAC schools are looking at her.
- Rachel Gartner, a 5-foot-9 point guard from Danbury H.S. (Ct. Wescon Fillies program). She is a tall point guard who not only runs a team and makes good passes, but can create her own shot and shoot deep three-pointers. She has gotten some interest from Fairfield.
- Infiniti Thomas-Waheed, a 5-foot-11 wing player from Newton North H.S. (Rivals-White program). Event evaluators called her a tremendous athlete who gets to the rim at will, has the ability to create her own shot and can shoot long range. Also a good defensive player. She mentioned that Niagara has shown interest.
- Tiana Carter, a 6-foot-2 forward/center from Lake Region H.S. (Maine Wave program). She is an athletic inside player with a nice touch around the hoop. She is athletic and crashes the boards hard at both ends. She took an unofficial visit to Siena while in the area.
Nyasha Arizany, a 5-foot-9 point guard from Molloy H.S. (N.Y. Gauchos program). A true point guard with good size who finds open teammates and runs an offense. Also gets into the lane and finishes. She plays with a lot of emotion, and is a good pressure-defense defender. Has been getting interest from Quinnipiac.
- Kristen McLaughlin, a 5-foot-11 wing player from Tappan Zee H.S. (Hudson Valley Elite program): An active player, particularly on defense. Shooting range out to the three-point stripe. Still needs to add strength. Most MAAC teams are involved, as is Rhode Island and Towson.
- Joanna Dobrovosky, a 6-foot-2 forward from Saneateles H.S. (Unity Wildcats program): A physical post player who is a good rebounder at both ends and is a high-energy player. Still filling out physically. Siena, Canisius and several other MAAC schools are looking.
- Anna Ross, a 5-foot-8 point guard from Westhill H.S. (Unity Wildcats program). A point guard that also scores, particularly with a cross-over move that gets her into the lane. Hard worker on defense. Good passer who finds open teammates. Marist, and several other MAAC schools, along with some Ivies are looking.
- Shannon Ryan, a 6-foot-4 center from Beekmantown Central H.S. (Lake Champlain Lakers program). A true "big" post who has great fundamentals. Uses her size well to block and alters shots. Gets position and scores well around the paint. Marist, Siena showed early interest, but she is also hearing from many high-major programs, including Boston College and Louisville.