Saturday, June 28, 2014

Two From Canisius Join NBA Summer League Teams

A pair of Canisius standouts from this past season will be playing for NBA summer league teams in upcoming weeks.

Guard Billy Baron, the MAAC's Player of the Year for 2013-14, will play for the Chicago Bulls' entry in the Samsung NBA Summer League in Las Vegas July 11-12.

And, former Cansius center, 6-10 Jordan Heath will join the Detroit Pitons NBA Summer League team that will compete July 5-11 in Orlando Fla.

The two players agreed to participate in the summer league situations on Friday, a day after the two-round NBA draft of amateur players that did not see a MAAC player selected.

"I have a great opportunity with the Chicago Bulls," Baron said, in a release issued by his school. "I'm excited and honored to have the chance to compete in the summer league. I plan on working as hard as I can and hopefully I will earn a spot on their team in the fall."

Baron was an Associated Press All-America Honorable Mention selection for this past season just the fourth in Canisius history.

He finished his senior season ranked fourth nationally in scoring average (24.1 points per game). He was the only Division 1 player in the country to average more than 20 points, five assists and 4.5 rebounds per game this past season.

Baron played two seasons at Canisius after transferring there from Rhode Island to play for his father, Jim Baron, who also moved over from URI.

Heath had a pre-draft workout with the Pistons prior to joining their summer league team.

"I felt like I was able to hang with the other guys there," Heath said in a press release issued by Canisius. "IObviously the time I spent at Canisius helped me develop as a player. I had a chance to play with some great teammates. Everyone there helped me develop my game and helped get me ready for the next level.

Heath also transferred in to Canisius from Roberts Wesleyan College. In two seasons as a Griff he averaged 9.9 points, 5.7 rebounds and 1.9 blocks per game.

No comments: