Here's how MAAC women's coaches voted for preseason all-star selections:
- Taryn Johnson, forward, Fairfield
- Kristina Ford, forward, Iona
- Miriam McKenzie, forward, Loyola
- Katie Sheahin, guard, Loyola
- Corielle Yard, guard, Marist
- Jamie Ruttle, forward, Canisius
- Brandy Gang, forward, Marist
- Christina Centeno, guard, Siena
- Lindsey Loutsenhizer, forward, Manhattan
- Kate Linney, guard, Fairfield
- Desiree Pina, guard, Fairfield
- Monica Roeder, guard, Manhattan
- Kayla Stroman, guard, Niagara
- Jynae Judson, forward, Saint Peter's
- Maja Gerlyng, guard, Siena
PRESEASON PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Corielle Yard, Marist.
ANALYSIS: It's a very talented top five, and no arguments here. Yard is a semi-obvious choice for Player of the Year, but it's not a clear-cut situation. Sheahin, a do-everything point guard at Loyola, should be a strong contender as might be much-improved Kristina Ford at Iona.
We will point to two players who, in this blogger's opinion, will crack the post-season all-star teams: Iona's Suzi Fregosi and Siena's Lily Grinci.
Fregosi, a pass-first true point guard, missed most of last season with an injury. She is said to be at full strength once again, and no player is better at directing an offense than she has been in the past.
Grinci had a big summer on Siena's trip to Italy and Denmark, averaging 17.5 points and 8.5 rebounds in four games. She has flashed all-league ability in her first two seasons at Siena, just not enough of them as she has battled injuries. If she stays healthy all year, she has all-league talent.