Last week we took a look at the recruits signed to National Letters of Intent during the fall signing period who will join men's programs for the 2010-11 season. Now, it's the women's turn.
As always, a word of warning: Recruiting is an inexact science. What looks good on paper doesn't necessarily look good on the hardwood. And, often, the opposite is the case.
And, many thanks to the respective sports information directors at the conference school for providing a good portion of the information compiled here.
Your blogger has seen a couple of these players in person, and will mention that in those cases. Otherwise, information here is mostly statistical in nature. Here goes, in no particular order ...
- Jennifer Lennox, a 6-foot-3 forward, from Kitchener Ontario. She spent a year with the National Elite Development Academy in Canada last season and was a member of the Team Canada squad that participated in the Under-19 World Championships in Thailand this past summer. No statistics are available.
- Jennifer Morabito, a 5-9 guard from Binghamton (N.Y.) High School. She averaged 19.5 points per game there last season.
- Jamie Buttle, a 6-3 forward, currently attends Notre Dame School in Burlington, Ontario, and averaged 22 points per game there last season.
- Courtney VandeBovenkamp is a 6-1 forward at General Amherst School in Amherstburg, Ontario. She averaged 15 points, 10 rebounds and five assists there last season.
- Onyx Mintah, a 6-1 forward at the Hun School in Princeton, N.J. She is a strong inside player who averaged 10.4 points, 5.7 rebounds and 2.2 blocks per game last season.
- Kate Zarotney is a 6-0 forward at the Berlin School in Berlin, Conn. There, she averaged 14.6 points, 9 rebounds and 1.1 blocks per game last season.
- Kanika Cummings is a 5-7 guard at the Masuk School in Monroe, Conn. There, she averaged 16.6 points, 5.3 rebounds, 3.6 assists and 2.1 steals last season. Your blogger saw her in a pick-up game situation on her official visit to Siena, and she will bring high-level quickness to the Saints.
- Allison Mullings is a 5-9 guard at Northwest Catholic High School in West Hartford, Conn. There, she averaged 15 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists and 3 steals per game last season.
- MyNeshia McKenzie, a 6-0 guard/forward from Springfield (Pa.) High School. She averaged 11.7 points per game there last season.
- Rosalie Gentry, a 6-0 forward from Downington (Pa.) East H.S. She averaged 12 points per game last season
- Senada Mehmedovic, a 5-7 combination point guard from Carlisle (Pa.) H.S. She averaged 19 points per game there last season.
- Sabrina Jeridore, a 6-3 center at Francis Lewis H.S. in Queens. While no stats are available, your blogger did see her play several times in this past summer’s GymRat Classic AAU event in the Albany, N.Y. area. Here’s the post-tournament written about her: "She is a true center. An excellent defender not only in the post, but on the ball in the half court. Can score inside, including against other players her size. Good hands, no problems catching the ball in traffic. Also an above-average rebounder."
- Brandone Roberts, a 6-3 center from Hammond H.S. in Columbia, Md. There, she aveaged 9.4 rebounds and 1.4 blocks per game last season.
- Monica Roeder, a 6-0 guard/forward from Cherokee H.S. in Marlton, N.J. There, she averaged 15 points, 7 rebounds and 3 assists per game last season.
- Teresa Manigrasso, a 5-7 guard from St. John Vianney High School in New Jersey. There she averaged 6.3 points per game last season.
- Bianca Martinez, a 6-3 center from Christ The King High School in New York City. No statistics are available.
- Khadijah Young, a 5-3 point guard who played last year at Revere (Ohio) H.S. last year. She transferred to Shaker Heights (Ohio) H.S. where she is playing this season. No statistics are available.
- Jazmyne Frost, a 6-1 forward at Brush (Ohio) H.S. There, she averaged 8.5 points and 6.5 rebounds per game last season.
- Noelle Zletni, a 5-10 guard from St. Theresa of Lisieux school in Richmond Hill, Ont. No full-season statistics are available, but she scored at least 22 points in nine games last season.
- Kaitlin Gattuso, a 6-1 forward from Seton La Salle school in Pittsburgh. There, she averaged 15 points per game last season. Her father, Greg, is the associate head football coach at the University of Pittsburgh.
- Naquasha "Shy" Britton, a 5-11 forward from Greece Acadia H.S. in Rochester, N.Y. She is averaging 25.7 points, 12 rebounds and 3.3 blocks per game through three games this season. Your blogger saw her play multiple times in this summer's GymRat Challenge AAU tournament in the Albany, N.Y., area. She appears to be primarily an inside player with good athleticism.
- Leeane Ockenden, a 5-foot-9 guard at Christian Brothers Academy in the Syracuse area. She averaged 20 points per game there last season, and has made 72 three-pointers in each of the last two seasons.
- Katie Cizynski, a 6-2 center from Pomparaug H.S. in Southbury, Conn. There, she averaged 18 points and 11 rebounds per game last season.
- Brittany Obi-Talbot, a 6-1 forward from Watertown (Mass.) H.S. There, she averaged 18 points and 14 rebounds last season.
- Alexys Vazquez, a 5-10 guard from Berlin (Conn.) H.S. Although no per-game stats are available, she holds her school’s record for three-pointers with 172 made through her junior season.
- Nicole Krusen, a 6-0 guard from Georgetown Visitation School in Washington, D.C. There she averaged 12.8 points and 5.1 rebounds per game there last season. Through five games this season she is averaging 17.8 points per game.
- Nneka Offodile, a 6-1 center from Walsh Jesuit H.S. in Cuyahoga, Ohio. She averaged 9.1 points, 6.6 rebounds and 1.7 blocks per game there last season and is averaging 9.8 points and 5.0 rebounds through two games this season.