Here's another in the series taking a look at opponents of MAAC teams still involved in national post-season tournaments.
Maine plays at Fairfield's on-campus Alumni Hall in Fairfield, Ct., in the quarterfinal round of the Women's Basketball Invitational Sunday at 2 p.m.
- Maine is 17-14 overall.
- Fairfield is 21-10 overall.
- Maine is No. 215 of 343 Division I teams nationally according to Realtimerpi.com
- Fairfield is No. 112 nationally according to Realtimerpi.com
- Maine's coach is Richard Barron. He is in his third season as Maine's head coach and has a record of 29-61 there.
- Fairfield's coach is Joe Frager. He is in his seventh season and has a record of 140- 82 there.
MAINE'S EXPECTED STARTERS:
- Mikaela Gustafsson, a 6-2 sophomore forward. She averages 4.8 points and 3.5 rebounds per game.
- Sophie Weckstrom, a 5-8 sophomore guard. She averages 5.6 points, 0.8 rebounds and 1.5 assists per game.
- Ashleigh Roberts, a 5-9 senior guard. She averages 13.5 points, 5.7 rebounds and 2.1 assists per game.
- Liz Wood, a 5-10 sophomore forward. She averages 12.7 points, 6.7 rebounds and 2.9 assists per game.
- Sigi Koizar, a 5-8 freshman guard. She averages 4.9 points, 3.7 rebounds and 2.5 assists per game.
MAINE'S TOP RESERVES:
- Chantel Charles, a 5-10 sophomore guard. She averages 4.7 points, 2.7 rebounds and 1.9 assists per game.
- Courtney Anderson, a 5-6 junior guard. She averages 2.5 points, 1.1 rebounds and 1.1 assists per game.
- Lauren Bodine, a 5-8 sophomore guard. She averages 7.6 points and 1.8 rebounds per game.
- Anna Heise, a 6-3 sophomore guard. She averages 4.2 points and 3.1 rebounds per game.
- This is Maine's first winning record since the 2005-06 season. In the previous eight seasons the program had a cumulative record of 59-175.
- Its coach, Barron, had previously been an assistant at Baylor and was responsible for recruiting former national Player of the Year Brittney Griner. Before that he was the head coach at Princeton for six seasons.
- The program's 2012-13 season ended early when its team bus was involved in an accident on its way to a Feb. 26, 2013 game in Boston. Its scheduled game against Boston University was cancelled. Maine played its next game to close out the regular season at home against New Hampshire. However, the team opted not to participate in the America East Conference's post-season tournament in Albany.
- Six of the team's 13 players are international, including ones from the United Kingdom, Serbia, Sweeden, Finland, Australia and Germany.
- Maine defeated Bucknell, 77-47, in the WBI opener.
- Maine shares the ball well, accumulating 16.9 assists per game, 15th-best nationally.
- The Black Bears make 7.8 three-pointers per contest, 28th-best nationally.